- Amplify quality of life with accessible lifelong learning in arts and culture. LA’s population is composed of high rates of young people and families, as well as high rates of elderly. Arts and cultural learning experiences have ripple effects including higher student SAT scores, social well-being, and enhanced quality of life.
- Foster community cohesion & cultural understanding. With a population rich in ethnic diversity, LA has an opportunity to establish itself as a leader in cultural awareness and inclusivity by promoting and providing opportunities that celebrate LA’s unique cultures.
- Bolster LA’s creative capital and entrepreneurial activity. As the community continues to face pressures of shifting economies LA can encourage workforce ingenuity by strengthening and building on its thriving network of artists and creative professionals.
- Utilize arts & culture to enhance LA’s image to attract residents, tourism, & new investment. As one of Maine’s largest communities, LA is poised to position itself as a hub for cultural and creative activity by supporting existing assets and defining new and exciting opportunities for cultural engagement.
- Further the position of arts & culture in local government. Cities around the world recognize the benefits brought by a thriving creative economy and are using arts and culture as tools for community revitalization and as a means of establishing local economic resilience.
- John Holden: President and Co-Chair, Lewiston-Auburn Economic Growth Council
- Mary LaFontaine: Councilor, City of Auburn
- Darby Ray: Director, Harward Center for Community Partnerships Director, Bates College; Harward Professor of Civic
- Engagement, Bates College
- Craig Saddlemire, Filmmaker; former Lewiston City Councilor
- Richard Martin, The Franco Center
- Jim Parakilas, Bates Arts Collaborative
Acknowledgements & Appreciations
- Maine Arts Commission
- City of Auburn
- City of Lewiston
- Androscoggin Chamber of Commerce
- Androscoggin Historical Society
- Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments
- Auburn City Council
- Auburn Public Library
- Auburn Public Schools
- Bates College Harward Center for Community Partnerships
- Bates College Museum of Art
- Bates College Olin Arts Center
- City of Auburn Economic Development
- City of Lewiston Director of Economic & Community Development
- Community Little Theater
- Downtown Handmade & Vintage
- Franco Center
- Kimball Street Studios
- L'Hommedieu Law Office, P.A.
- Lewiston-Auburn Economic Growth Council
- Lewiston City Council
- Lewiston Public Library
- Lewiston Public Schools
- Linnell, Choate & Webber, LLP
- Maine Music Society
- Maine’s Lakes & Mountains Tourism Council
- Maine State Senate
- Museum L-A
- The Public Theater
- Studio A Architecture
- Wicked Illustrations